Friday, January 02, 2009

Mystery Reader Cafe - Reading Challenge

From Reading Challenges:
The yahoo group, Mystery Reader Cafe, is running the following challenge for 2009:
1. Read a mystery with the word "murder" in the title
2. Read a mystery set in your region
3. Read a mystery that has been on your shelf for at least a year
4. Read a mystery from a "new to you" author
  • Please remember that each challenge above should be a different book.
  • Although this was created for the Yahoo reading group, anyone can participate.
  • Reading challenges are personal and self-policed.
  • You make the decisions if you want to change the books as the year goes on, etc.
  • What's important is that it's fun and that you get to books you want to read.
In 2008 I read:
1. An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson
2. Bad Press by Maureen Carter (Birmingham setting)
3. Larkspur by Sheila Simonson (US cozy bought in 1997)
4. Most of what I read was by new to me authors so picking one I enjoyed a lot - The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang.

re. No.3. I made a concerted effort to read some of the older books I had with a view that if I disliked the one I'd read I'd be able to remove the rest of the series from my shelves. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way and I ended up buying the sequel to Larkspur to fill in the gap in the books I'd got of that series!

I'll have to give some thought to 2009's choices but I plan to read more of Maureen Carter's series for no.2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one! I did mine here: http://petrona.typepad.com/petrona/2009/01/mystery-reader-cafe-via-euro-crime.html