Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mini Review: The Holy Thief by William Ryan (audio book)

I've just had the pleasure of listening to an ISIS audio book of William Ryan's The Holy Thief read by Sean Barrett.

Sean Barrett is excellent as I knew he would be as I've listened to him read Henning Mankell's booksl. (He's also got the Jo Nesbo gig.)

I really enjoyed The Holy Thief and felt I learned a lot about Russia in the 1930s. Be aware that there are a couple of torture scenes and unpleasant descriptions of the aftermath, in this fine police procedural which introduces Captain Korolev of the CID of the Moscow Militia. he is a good man, struggling with loyalty to the state and his own religious beliefs.

For a full assessment please read Rich's excellent review, with which I agree completely, here.

The Holy Thief was shortlisted for the Theakstons Crime Novel of the Year 2011 and the CWA New Blood (John Creasey) Dagger 2010


The second in the series, The Bloody Meadow, is available now and a third book should be out in 2013.

William Ryan's website
William Ryan on Twitter

1 comment:

William Ryan said...

Thanks Karen! I'm delighted you liked it. I have the Isis audiobook but haven't listened to is as yet so it's great to hear Sean Barrett did a good job.

All the best

William